Always smiley and cheerful Myra Maimoh grew up within a big, Christian family in Bamenda, North West Region of Cameroon with her mother being her greatest musical influence.
Influenced by her mother’s discs of Skeeter Davies, James Brown, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, African blues and throughout the spectrum from country music, traditional African music to jazz and pop, Myra started singing and dancing, while still in preschool at the age of 3. She wrote her first set of songs and stories at the age of 13 and since then Myra’s music journey has grown from strength to strength.
On Saturday August 13th Myra is scheduled to release her follow up album entitled UNIQ and she just cannot wait for you to take a listen. So while we wait the for the release date to come, here are 6 facts you definitely should know about her!
- Myra is known to be kind of goofy. She grew up in a house with a whole lot of laughter even during trying times when there was really no reasons to laugh or goof about. In her family, they don’t seem to take themselves too seriously although devoted to hard work. When it’s time to be serious, they do that really well and the rest of the time they are full of goofiness which as Myra states “I don’t think it’s going anywhere anytime soon.”Oh well, a goofy artist is not bad at all is it?!!
- Always very smiley but you will be shocked to find out that Myra is known to be shy & reserved! Oh yes! However, when she is performing on stage all timidity and shyness fly out of the window! As a result, people who don’t know her very well usually either think she’s arrogant or too shy when they meet me for the first time. But after watching her on stage or knowing her more, they almost always ask this question – why did I ever think you were a quiet girl? Her response: beats me! [Haa haaa!!]
- Myra has 2 Masters degrees and she is an advocate for education especially for the girl child. Here is her story: at a point in her life, she wasn’t even sure she was ever going to be able to get even a Bachelors degree. Her family was going through some really turbulent times and they couldn’t quite afford a lot. The farther the dream was for her to go as far as she could with her education, the more resolved she was to get the best education. God opened door after door and before she knew it, she had not only a Bachelors degree from a great business school in Germany but also a Masters degree in International Management and another in International Business from another good university in the USA. “I know there are a lot of young girls back at home in Cameroon who probably won’t complete their studies and thus miss their chances to showcase their talent just because there is no one to help. Reason why I am a big advocate for educating the poor and hopeless because that was me at some point in my life.“
- Myra loves food believe it or not – she loves trying out recipes, cooking and hosting. Her house is almost always full. She loves cooking all sorts of foods and usually has cooking competitions with her spouse. If it’s healthy, she will try it!
- Myra is an outdoor lover. If she could spend the whole day outside, that would make her ultimate day. She does like to wind down at home but the most fulfilling days for her is full days out with family and it mustn’t be full of adventurous things, she is happy with just walking for as long as she can.
- In case you only see her super glam side, remember that Myra is a major tomboy! Till she was about 15, she played football with neighbourhood kids, wrestled, climbed trees, went hunting. Her mum had to do an intervention before she started acting like a “Cameroonian girl” should! “I don’t even know what that means but found out it meant a lot to my mum. I like photography and beauty shots only because it’s art but in reality, you will rarely see any makeup on my face. I think it’s overrated.” states Myra.
Myra is scheduled to be performing at the FestAfrica free event in Silver Springs, MD on her album launch date next Saturday. If you are in the area, turn up, keep it turnt and have fun!
For more information, follow Myra on:
Facebook: Myra Maimoh World